Monday, December 20, 2010

On a Riff

Stuffed Salty Dog

(serves 2-4 depending on anxiety levels)

1 ruby red grapefruit
4 oz vodka
4 oz sparkling water, tonic, or club soda
sea salt or Kosher salt
ice


Supreme the grapefruit. You know what that means, right? Removing the fleshy bits. See, I can make up shit in context! Anyway, what it means is you cut off all the rind with NO white stuff left. Then, slice the pulpy bits out in wedge sections without cutting off a finger. (Which, incidentally, is the bonus part of using a red grapefruit. Should you slip...no one knows.) Best to look up a tutorial if you are unsure.

Put the sections in a liquid measuring cup and squeeze the remaining hunk of membranes like you're ringing the neck of a small animal that didn't quite die in the trap. Oops. Did I just piss off PETA? Come one...it's a grapefruit and a metaphor. Deal with it.

Add the vodka and muddle. There are any number of ways to do this. The fanciest one is with an official muddler. I do not have one of those. I used a fork. As with (I assume) taxidermy, it is all about the right tools. But if the right tools are pricey or you are thirsty then you make do with what you have, no?

The measuring cup is important. Because you need to know how much grapefruity stuff you have so you can divide it evenly among the glasses after siphoning off a bit for yourself. No, no this is important! You have to get to a level you can easily divide by the number of glasses you plan on filling. (Math is everywhere!)

Next: glasses with ice. I like it half full myself. I mean, EXACTLY half full, which is also EXACTLY half empty. Depending on your present anxiety level, feel free to play with the volume of ice to balance out your own, personal freaky control issues. It's like a glass of therapy, this recipe is!

Sprinkle a pinch or two of salt over the ice. I don't know why I do it at this step. I just know it tastes better if I do. Then add the pulpy mash.

Pour 1 or more ounces of vodka over it and then top with an equal amount of something fizzy.

NO garnish. The fun is already in the glass. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I just re-read this post. I now realize I add the vodka twice which is not something I ever noticed while making them before! Though I certainly appreciate it in my glass.

    ReplyDelete